April 25, 2024, 07:59:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need Urgent help on chemical tests  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Leeds229

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need Urgent help on chemical tests
« on: May 02, 2007, 11:51:14 AM »
Well ive got my AS Level chemistry practical exam coming up and finding it hard to revise for it.

I was wondering if anyone would know where i could find a help sheet somewhere that told of every way to determine between different elements etc.

This would help with the identifcation tests i will have to do as i always have trouble determining wat the substance is in the end after carrying out all the tests.

For example in a practice test we did we were told that the substance was a halobutane. The experiments we were told to do were:

- Add the substance to dilute sodium hydroxide solution then gently warm. (When i did this another layer was formed at the bottom of the boiling tube)

- Add dilute nitric acid to the boiling tube until it is neutral or just acidic then add 1cm3 of the solution in the boiling tube to 1cm3 of silver nitrate (When i did this the solution turned brown/yellow with a brown solid at the bottom)

- Add 2cm3 of dilute ammonia solution to the test tube containing silver nitrate solution (When i did this the solution turned colourless but the brown solid remained at the bottom.)

It ended up that it was Iodobutane but i could never have worked this out by myself  :-\

So basically i need somewhere that tells me how to identify pretty much everything and what should happen when A is added to B etc  ???

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links