April 17, 2024, 09:09:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I want to gather all the elements that make up a human being....  (Read 8986 times)

Offline shmoo597

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am trying to gather all the elements needed to make a human being, and put it on display in my living room.

I am using this as my basis:

http://web2.iadfw.net/uthman/elements_of_body.html

I am looking on suggestions for what you think would be the best way to assemble these elements. Any ideas for the gas?

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re: I want to gather all the elements that make up a human being....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:01:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure many of those elements are not NEEDED to make up a human, they just happen to have been collected there.  (E.g., Cs, La, Sc, Au are probably not used by anything.)

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 07:35:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure many of those elements are not NEEDED to make up a human, they just happen to have been collected there.  (E.g., Cs, La, Sc, Au are probably not used by anything.)

They are all found in the body, but not of significant biological importance.

Offline shmoo597

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 09:01:47 PM »
Well that is ok. I want to be able to point to something and say - "if that jar of elements over there was arranged in a slightly different way, it would be a human being."

Any suggestions on what type of molecules to use? or should I use pure elements? What about the gases? Any ideas?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 09:31:20 PM »
http://www.boston.com/globe/search/stories/health/how_and_why/011298.htm

An adult body is 50 to 65 percent water

So at least much of the hydrogen and oxygen are combined as liquid water and do not exist as gases. I would assume that most all of the gases in that list are components of compounds that are not gases.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 09:39:40 PM by billnotgatez »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
This site may give you some ideas about element collection and storage:

http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/index.html

Also, this thread has some information about element collecting:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=1806.0

I'm not sure if these are exactly what you are looking for, but they are at least a start.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:01:46 PM »
I agree with enahs. The table lists lead as being the body. I'm sure it is found, but I don't think it has any biological significance. Same with cadmium, barium, selenium, arsenic, and uranium; all of those are toxic to the human body, and have no biological role (the more important of the 2 reasons) as far as I'm aware of.

I'd stick with carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen as the most important samples. Just look up the structures of various amino acids, vitamins, and what's on the back of those "complete multivitamin" bottles.

[Edit] Turns out selenium does have biological role.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:38:44 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 10:40:21 PM »
I would add sulfur and phosphorous to the list of most important elements, sulfur being in two of the twenty protein amino acids and phosphorous an essential component of DNA (with various other important biological roles).  Many metals also play essential roles like iron (present in hemoglobin, cytochrome c, and many other proteins), zinc (often an essential part of DNA-binding proteins), cobalt (in the vitamin cobalamin, essential for nucleotide synthesis), and others.

Selenium has a biological role and is an important cofactor for some enzymes such as glutathione peroxidase (involved in antioxidant activity).  While selenium is toxic in moderate quantities, it is still an essential micronutrient.  So, if you completely remove selenium from your diet, you will have some problems.  Also remember that anything, even water, is toxic at high enough concentrations.

Sponsored Links