March 28, 2024, 02:01:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Becoming an engineer with a Chemistry Degree  (Read 7082 times)

Offline nextpauling

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Becoming an engineer with a Chemistry Degree
« on: July 27, 2007, 04:22:34 PM »
What's up everybody!  I am a senior chemistry student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, and I'm entertaining a number of different ideas for post-undergraduate plans.  What are the best routes for getting into the chemical engineering field with a chemistry degree?  Would I have to get a second bachelor's in engineering?  Could I apply to a master's engineering program, and if so, what are the employment opportunities for a MS with no engineering bachelor's?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline nextpauling

Re: Becoming an engineer with a Chemistry Degree
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 02:15:42 PM »
If nobody has any information do any of you know where i might find it?

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »
Hello nextpauling,

This question has way too many possibilities.  The good news is that it should be fairly easy to go from a chemical background to a chemical engineering background.  Since you already have a good foundation of how chemical reactions occur, it should be easy to understand the engineering side. 

Back in 'the old days', chemical engineering was not a field.  So, chemists performed 'all' chemical work. With specialization being strong in todays market, the bad news is that you *may* need to get your Bachelors in engineering first. 

Employment opportunities strongly depend on the organization which is hiring you.  So, unfortunately, I do not have this answer.  You may need to check with the companies that you are looking for employment, and ask them this same question.

Take care, and I wish you the best in the future,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline nextpauling

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:20:26 PM »
Thanks alot man!  It seems like specialization in the engineering market would favor a graduate degree, not a bachelor's...I am under the assumption that I can apply to a master's program, take some prerequisite engineering courses, and proceed to graduate work.  What would be the advantage of getting a 2nd bachelor's?

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:30 PM »
Hi nextpauling,

Its not the qualifications, or the ability to do the job that i made that recommendation, its the politics.  On a provincial/state level, each jurisdiction justifies to the local government who can and who cannot practice engineering.  Some jurisdictions allow engineers with masters degree's to practice engineering, while others do not.  So, to prevent problems in your future, i would suggest getting a Bachelors in engineering.  The good news is that you will probably be bored in the engineering classes :)

I wish you the best,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline nextpauling

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
Oh I see....well thanks alot for your help man...looks like I'll have to do some more research into what my options are with and without a bachelor's. 

Sponsored Links