Chemistry Forums for Students > Analytical Chemistry Forum

forensic science based chemistry experiment

(1/1)

chrismariesan1:
hi!  My name is Chris.  I am in Analytical Lab II at UC San Diego.  For the last three weeks of our quarter, me and my two lab partners are supposed to design an experiment using one of the machines in our lab.  We want to do a forensic science theme since that is what I and one other girl are going into.
They want to do an alcohol experiment, but i'm hesitant, since that one has been done by other students before.
I'm thinking about some sort of experiment analyzing an arsan, but i'm not sure about how to get a 40 min presentation using this one.
If anyone had any ideas...or some way to tie several experiments together...and what machines to use (we're thinking GC or IR)....I would be very grateful!
Thank you and plz e-mail me if you have any questions!!!! 8)

Mitch:
Alcohol is in wine, right? Could you find some excuse to by wine and test the alcohol content? Wine is good. :)

dfx-:
Analysing hydrocarbons by GC encountered in arson investigations should easily get you the presentation length depending on how much detail you can/want to put in.

There's lots of information on the instruments, the types of hydrocarbons found, the methods of analysis and why you choose a particular one etc. etc.

The lab report I did this year on it went on and on and on and on...  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version