April 16, 2024, 02:03:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction of carvone with different compounds.  (Read 15038 times)

Offline Fragment_Error

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction of carvone with different compounds.
« on: May 02, 2007, 01:55:25 AM »
Hey, I have to find out what the major chemical component that constitutes the volatile oils from dill seeds, and I've found out that it's carvone: C10H14O

And now I have to write equations for the reaction of carvone with 2,4-DNP and Br2\CCl4

Ok 2,4-DNP is C6H4N2O5 but how will the two react? I know that the bond joining the two will be a C=O bond, but where will it occur? And I think a product will be water?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Reaction of carvone with different compounds.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 06:45:13 AM »
Hey, I have to find out what the major chemical component that constitutes the volatile oils from dill seeds, and I've found out that it's carvone: C10H14O

And now I have to write equations for the reaction of carvone with 2,4-DNP and Br2\CCl4

Ok 2,4-DNP is C6H4N2O5 but how will the two react? I know that the bond joining the two will be a C=O bond, but where will it occur? And I think a product will be water?

Do you know the actual structual formulae of carvone and 2,4-DNP - perhaps that may help?

S

Offline Fragment_Error

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 08:21:50 AM »
Ok, I found the structural formula, and yeah it did make it a little easier.

Does this look ok?

Also, what is a major advantage of using steam distillation as a way of separating volatile components from plant material opposed to solvent extraction?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 11:05:36 AM »
Ok, I found the structural formula, and yeah it did make it a little easier.

Does this look ok?

Hmm, it helps a little ;) To be honest, the second structure's not what I had in my mind when I saw 2,4-DNP, though I can see where the confusion's arisen. What does your question actually say?

Offline Fragment_Error

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 04:43:23 PM »
It simply says,

"write the equation for the reactions of this compound (carvone) with:

i) 2,4-DNP

ii) Br2\CCl4"

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:05:25 PM »
OK,

To me, the reagent 2,4-DNP (especially with a carbonyl as the other half) would refer to 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine - Brady's reagent, and not the phenol.

I think if the phenol did add to carvone, it may end up with something with a cyclic diene - I'll try and get an image together, or perhaps a pair of diastereomeric 1,4-adducts - controlled by the isopropenyl group??

(just noticed image upload is not working, have to think of some names now ;) )

S
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 01:59:53 PM by sjb »

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 02:02:55 PM »
(just noticed image upload is not working, have to think of some names now ;) )

S

I think upload should be working now, from what I've seen in other parts of the forum, so here's what I think the main product will be:

I think 1,4 addition would be less favoured, as the phenol is a harder acid, if you had the thiophenol then perhaps 1,4 might be more favoured...

Offline Panoramix

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »
2,4-DNP is very likely to be 2,4-Dinitrophenyl hydrazine and not 2,4-Dinitrophenol.

If you ask google about "2,4-DNP" you will get an answer immediately about what is going to happen with your ketone.

About Br2/CCl4: think about first year chemistry, double bonds, etc. and again asking google "bromine carvone" might give more ideas

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:50:04 PM »
2,4-DNP is very likely to be 2,4-Dinitrophenyl hydrazine and not 2,4-Dinitrophenol.

If you ask google about "2,4-DNP" you will get an answer immediately about what is going to happen with your ketone.

Indeed, though the very first hit *I* get is http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/DN/2,4-DNP.html , which refers to the phenol. Google is not the be-all and end-all. ;)

S

Offline Panoramix

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 08:48:13 AM »

Indeed, though the very first hit *I* get is http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/DN/2,4-DNP.html , which refers to the phenol. Google is not the be-all and end-all. ;)

S

Google is a tool, common sense is a usefull tool, too. The first result is 2,4-dinitrophenol, the second is about 2,4-dinitro phenyl hydrazine and the heading of the third is "addition-elimination reactions of aldehydes and ketones".

Sponsored Links