March 28, 2024, 10:38:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: car problem, need advice  (Read 4335 times)

Corvettaholic

car problem, need advice
« on: December 21, 2004, 07:24:49 PM »
Well the vette is about to die. The tranny won't shift until 4000 rpm, and it doesn't seem to want to "go" off the line no matter how light I am on the gas. If I idle for 10 feet then gently apply gas I can get it to go without making sounds. I'm ruling out the torque converter, because it DOES lockup as necessary otherwise I'd have no power. The vette ROCKETS wherever I go now. I can get it shift into 3rd on city streets only if I mash the gas then hit 70mph. Once I back off back to 45mph, its still in 3rd. I can forget overdrive in the city. The same tactic works to get 4th gear to engage on the freeway, but I have to rocket to 90mph for that to work.

Anyone else agree on my assessment its the transmission? I might just garage the piece of crap and go buy a Kia. I need another vehicle like NOW though. If I cancel the insurance on the vette, that equates to a car payment on a Kia. I COULD still get the vette paid off on time, keep it as a project, and just putz around in a god-awful Kia.

ORGOsmic

Re:car problem, need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 11:41:36 PM »
Can't shift till 4,000rpm?  I say make it track car.
Don't buy a kia, buy a used sport compact.

Corvettaholic

Re:car problem, need advice
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 11:27:02 AM »
Well I couldn't shift until 4000rpm because there was a problem, not due to my own doing. I think it was just a stuck valve inside the tranny, cause I thumped it with a stick and the problem magically went away. For now. And I can't stand sport compacts. I'll never join the enemy!

Sponsored Links