April 20, 2024, 05:24:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: benzaldehyde from NutraSweet?  (Read 14506 times)

Offline Hopeless

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
benzaldehyde from NutraSweet?
« on: June 29, 2007, 03:18:03 AM »
hi ya,

i was reading in a previous post :

If you want a quick and easy synthesis of benzaldehyde, heat phenylalanine with 5N NaOH solution for 5 hours, at 110 C, it then decomposes, yielding benzaldehyde.

About as quick and easy as one can get, aspartame might be a good starting point for cheap as hell phenylalanine

so i've got a few questions:

1. Any ideas on how to purify extract the phenylalanine from NutraSweet? or can you use it as is?

2. Anyone done this before out of NutraSweet?

p.s. i can't reply to the original post on benzaldehyde as it's longer thean 120 days old

cheers..
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:17:02 PM by Hopeless »

Offline shelanachium

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-0
Re: benzaldehyde from NutraSweet?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:56:47 AM »
I have grave doubts as to whether this would work. Presuming benzaldehyde to form in the first place, under such high-temperature alkaline conditions as 5M NaOH at 110 degrees for five hours the benzaldehyde would undergo the Cannizzaro reaction to give benzoate ion and benzyl alcohol:

2 C6H5CHO + OH- ---> C6H5CO2- + C6H5CH2OH

If any benzaldehyde escaped this reaction it could steam-distil  out of the reaction mixture, together with the benzyl alcohol and methanol - no other components or products being volatile. (Nutra-Sweet is the methyl ester of the aspartic acid/phenylalanine dipeptide)

It should not be necessary to extract the phenylalanine first, with alkali Nutra-Sweet will break down to aspartate (non-volatile), phenylalanine and methanol.

Much easier to buy the benzaldehyde I'd think - often used as almond essence.

Sponsored Links