March 28, 2024, 05:18:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ZnCl2  (Read 14503 times)

Offline angeloposteraro

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
ZnCl2
« on: May 19, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »
Hello

Firstly to produce the ZnCl2 I diluted 34% HCl, (muriatic acid) at a 3:1 ratio to have a fairly dilute mixture

to this I added strips of zinc metal, from the outside casing of a battery which I polished shiny

my problem is that After adding a great deal of zinc, which fully reacted (14g or so) the solution is still extremely acidic, around 0-1 pH

is there anything I could add to neutralize the remaining acid that wont contaminate the ZnCl2, or a way of extracting the ZnCl2 without making mass amounts of HCl vapors

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: ZnCl2
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 05:59:59 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_chloride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

My original thought was to neutralize with sodium bicarbonate, but I think that would not give the results you want. Both sodium chloride and zinc chloride are soluble.

From the link at the top – the discussion on purification seems complex for the home setting.

Offline angeloposteraro

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 07:42:54 PM »
thank you for the response,

yes i had tought of sodium bicarbonate, but that would
leave sodium chloride in the solution which is unacceptable,

I guess ill just have to evaporate it,

thank you again

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 02:30:41 AM »
I think you will get only the hydrated zinc chloride version using evaporation. Check the link I posted about purification of zinc chloride.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 03:03:19 PM »
Obtaining anhydrous ZnCl2 is not possible in this way. Maybe when you pass dry HCl-gas over the solid, but simply heating, driving off water, will result in splitting off of HCl-gas as well and you end up with a basic chloride at best, or maybe even only ZnO, with chloride as impurity.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline angeloposteraro

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:55:25 PM »
According to wikipedia, adding zinc to HCl does indeed create ZnCl2

although they say to add zinc until all hydrogen formation ceases, I apparently way underestimated how much zinc was necessary

I intend to make a 6 or so molar solution of ZnCl2, so anhydrous isn't a big issue, my main issue is how to get rid of all that acid remaining in solution.

thank you again for the help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 02:47:56 AM »
Use excess Zn, filtrate solution after reaction stops.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kelaniz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • Former LoBD God. 98 Million Souls since 1992.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 01:03:32 PM »
...to this I added strips of zinc metal, from the outside casing of a battery which I polished shiny

Sorry to butt in, but I had to ask. You said the outside casing, but did you mean the inner can?

The reason I ask is, in both alkaline and carbon-zinc batteries, the outer cans are almost always a sheet of nickel-plated steel. Some are zinc plated, but the base metal is still steel. You can verify that with any old magnet.

Now, in carbon-zinc batteries, there's a separate solid zinc can inside that steel outer can, but those aren't sheet zinc, rather, they're a disc that's formed into a can by a press. So, those would be pretty darn hard to cut into strips without a good pair of nippers. :)

Just wanted to clarify for my own curiosity, and also in case you did in fact try this reaction with the outer casing. I'm guessing that would form whatever compounds HCl + steel creates, but not the ZnCl2 you want :)

-Kel
Professional lunatic on closed course. Do not attempt.

Offline deoxyribonucleicacid444

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
use sodium hydroxide or Drano

Offline angeloposteraro

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 12:07:27 AM »
wow thanks to all for the great help,

I am currently leaving it in front of a dehumidifier, which is having a greater effect,  I wish to refrain from heating it and decomposing the compound. I am fairly sure it is zinc, there were no inner and outer cans, and it was a carbon zinc battery. I have used the shavings from the can in the water starts a fire reaction leading me to believe that it was in fact zinc.

Sponsored Links