April 20, 2024, 05:15:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) vs TOLUENE vs METHANOL vs ETHANOL  (Read 14977 times)

Offline hiddendog

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) vs TOLUENE vs METHANOL vs ETHANOL
« on: May 20, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »
Anyone can differential (in application) the above chemical when they applied in the insdustrial field. Thanks.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) vs TOLUENE vs METHANOL vs ETHANOL
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:47:43 AM »
Hi hiddendog,

In industrial oilfield production chemistry, methanol is the least soluble in hydrocarbons while ethanol is in the middle, and IPA is more soluble in hydrocarbons.  This is needed when determining the solvent used in stabilization of freeze point depression in certain products. 

When it comes to dissolving (or emulsifying?) paraffins and asphaltenes, toluene is the best solvent.

I thought that I would start the discussion, and feel free to ask more questions if you want.

I hope this helps,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) vs TOLUENE vs METHANOL vs ETHANOL
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:29:55 PM »
IPA has been explored as a potential petroleum reservoir process fluid for enhanced oil recovery in naptha-rich oil fields.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links