April 26, 2024, 07:41:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Homemade distillation apparatus  (Read 19144 times)

Offline kindpastor

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Homemade distillation apparatus
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »
I posted this in High School Chemistry originally but was told it was better suited here.  I cam across some experiments that require distillation, and the distillation apparatuses on the web seem to cost about 80-100 bucks, so I thought I might make my own, substituting a water and ice filled bucket for a water jacket.

Based on helpful advice from the last thread I substituted the mason jar for  a stoppered laboratory grade flask and used glass tubing when possible, not shown is the heat source and thermometer.  I figured I could cut a hole in the trash can and use it as an exit point for the water and the tubing, so I'd have a decent flow and a way for the tubing to well...exit the bucket!

As usual I'd like advice on this idea mainly, I'd hate to do anything unsafe or ineffective.   

Offline beheada

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Homemade distillation apparatus
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:29:18 PM »
Why waste all that water? Get an aquarium pump and push ice-water through the bucket and an adjacent bucket. BLAM! You have got yourself a nice condenser. The pump will cost less than your water bill, trust me.

Offline kindpastor

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:21:19 PM »
Why waste all that water? Get an aquarium pump and push ice-water through the bucket and an adjacent bucket. BLAM! You have got yourself a nice condenser. The pump will cost less than your water bill, trust me.

Any advice on how to seal the hole so that no water leaks out (can you recommend a commercial sealant)

I figured on something like this:

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »
Also, you may want to get some copper tubing at the hardware store and bend it into a coil instead of the latex--you'll get MUCH better heat transfer with the copper, and if you're distilling organics, you won't leach any dioctylterephthalate into your distillate.

Offline kindpastor

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
Also, you may want to get some copper tubing at the hardware store and bend it into a coil instead of the latex--you'll get MUCH better heat transfer with the copper, and if you're distilling organics, you won't leach any dioctylterephthalate into your distillate.

Thanks, is there any substance for which I shouldn't use copper tubing? Like if I'm distilling something out of sulfuric acid?

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »
You certainly don't want to use it for nitric acid, and there are other materials, too, but you asked about ethanol.  If you want to find out more, check out the MSDS for copper and look under 'chemical incompatibilites'.  It should give you a start.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »
You're probably looked at this already but I post it in case others are interested.
There are many links at the bottom of this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillation

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 08:10:48 PM »
United nuclear has a condenser for $40.
http://www.unitednuclear.com/other.htm

Just thought I'd let you know.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62

Sponsored Links