April 23, 2024, 11:31:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rate of reaction  (Read 4564 times)

chemistrie

Rate of reaction
« on: December 22, 2004, 10:17:35 PM »
If I used 50 ml 0.15M hyrocholoric acid (case I) to react with marble chips instead of 100mL 0.1M hydrocholoric acid,(case II)  then I know that the rate of reaction for case II would be much faster than (I). But comparing the volume of carbon dioxide evolved, case (i)produces far more carbon dioxide gas than case (ii), what is the reason for that?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Rate of reaction
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 10:21:50 PM »
amount of product formed depends on amount of reactant consumed
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

chemistrie

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 12:48:29 AM »
But isn't the number of moles of hydrocholoric acid in case (ii) is greater than in (i), thus the amount of products formed will be more?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 07:47:32 PM »
the amount of carbon dioxide formed depends on the amount of the limiting reagent.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links