April 19, 2024, 07:47:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid-Base Reaction Question  (Read 2912 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Acid-Base Reaction Question
« on: May 31, 2007, 06:05:38 PM »
We did a titration lab in my chemistry class. We did 6 sets with various reactants and concentrations. One of the questions for my lab is to write all the equations. I just want to check to see that they are all right, which I'm pretty sure they are, and that the properties of salts formed are right. As a side note, I'm omitting the states (aqueous, liquid, etc.) because it'll just take more time to type, and they are all aqueous except for the water which is liquid. Wiki and google aren't really revealing the properties of the salts.

Set 1 (easy one)
HCl + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O
The salt would have a neutral pH.

Set 2
KHC8H4O4 + NaOH --> KNaC8H4O4 + H2O
I'm thinking the salt would be basic. Also, would this salt act as a buffer?

Set 3
H2SO4 + 2KOH --> K2SO4 + 2H2O
This salt would have a neutral pH.

Set 4
H2CO3 + 2NH4OH --> (NH4)2CO3 + 2H2O
I'm thinking that ammonium carbonate would be basic. I don't think it would act as a buffer, but I'm not sure.

Set 5
H3PO4 + 3NaOH --> Na3PO4 + 3H2O
Trisodium phosphate is a slightly basic buffer. I'm pretty sure about that since phosphate salts are usually buffers, and are alkaline.

Set 6
HNO3 + NH4NO3 + H2O
Not entirely sure, but I think ammonium nitrate would be acidic (among being explosive  ;)).

The only reason why I care so much about the equations and the properties of the salts being right is because I've been helping people.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:12:36 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links