March 28, 2024, 09:01:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Percent of Baking soda in baking powder lab  (Read 5308 times)

Offline wafflefries

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Percent of Baking soda in baking powder lab
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:01:29 AM »
Hello everyone. I've been struggling with this lab for a couple weeks now and I'm not allowed to ask my teacher questions or I'll loose points from my lab final. I've tried googling everything related to baking powder and baking soda but I have found nothing but cooking recipes so any help is very appreciated. The lab question is...

"Experimentally determine the percent of baking soda in a sample of baking power. Compare the percent of baking soda for at least two brands of baking power."

What I need help with is coming up with a lab procedure to figure the first part of this question out. Once again, any help is very much appreciated. Thanks guys. :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Percent of Baking soda in baking powder lab
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:05:53 AM »
What is the main ingredient of baking soda?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline wafflefries

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:16:43 PM »
What is the main ingredient of baking soda?

sodium?

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »
It's not sodium. It's sodium bicarbonate. You can find that easily by using wikipedia, google, checking a box of baking soda, etc. Now you can look at the properties of sodium bicarbonate. From the properties you can figure out a procedure for you lab, or at least an idea of how to go about it.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links