April 18, 2024, 07:39:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Copper Sulfate purchase/disposal  (Read 7960 times)

Offline urza9814

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Copper Sulfate purchase/disposal
« on: June 07, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »
So, obviously I'm new to these forums, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

Anyways, I'm planning to attempt electrolytic etching of brass soon, but I'm having some problems with the copper sulfate solution needed. First, where can I get it? I found it's often in weed killers, but I couldn't find a brand that had any after a quick look locally, and it seems ordering it online is quite a hassle (plus I'll most likely be forced to order more than I need.) Anyone know any other products I might be able to find this in, or an easy way to get some? My other question is, where would I find how to best dispose of the resulting solution? I've read it can't just be thrown away due to the somewhat hazardous nature of it, but I have no idea what I should then do with it.

Any help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Copper Sulfate purchase/disposal
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 06:03:50 PM »
Copper Sulfate is easily found in home chemistry sets. You might try a local education supply store, they might either have a cheap set with it (and you get other chemicals too) or might even sale extra chemicals from the set.

Some home chemistry sets are pretty nice, actually.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re: Copper Sulfate purchase/disposal
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 08:18:29 PM »
Copper sulfate is used as a fungicide, and also as a fertilizer.  Your local lawn and garden shop (if you live in the US) should have it as 'sulfate of copper'.  I used to buy the Diamond brand, and I think it was $12 for 4lbs.  You'll have to dissolve, filter and then recrystallize the material once, though, as there is around 1% dirt in it as it comes.  You may also be able to buy it at a ranch/animal supply store, as it is used to kill fungi on the hooves of sheep and some other livestock.  If you live in a city, it may be harder to find.

Sponsored Links