March 28, 2024, 07:47:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ACS style and numering of references....  (Read 5675 times)

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
ACS style and numering of references....
« on: June 08, 2007, 06:26:53 AM »
Word crashed! I guess Office'97 aint compatible with XP. A shame to find it out now, half-finish with my thesis :/

So Im trying to learn StarOffice instead. So far Sun Microsystems is doing well. But I have trouble with my endnotes. I used Endnote (the program) for my references with cite-while-you-write cabability with Word. Now I need insert the references manually. The references are displayed as default with roman numbers/letters! And I guess the ACS-style doesn't accept that kind of numbering of references. Or do they?

And if you know:
How do I change my endnote references anchors style?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 08:07:52 AM by mir »
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: ACS style and numering of references....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:01:15 PM »
I would recommend you try OpenOffice.
http://www.openoffice.org/
It is great.

RefWorks (http://www.refworks.com/) Is great for reference, and it supports importing into MS Office and Open Office. A quick glance of the site, I did not see where to get a free Student subscription. Maybe I had to get it through my schools library page first, or something, so you might check the same.
Is is absolutely great for References, and it supports importation of reference from many online journals and programs like SciFinder.

StarOffice is based of off OpenOffice, but OpenOffice is updated more often. And I know how to use it :)
And yes, even though Sun Micro is now branded on OpenOffice, they are not quite the same.

If you are inserting them manually with OpenOffice, you can just type in the number or symbol you want.

Or, you can hit F11 or go to the Format Menu/ Styles and Formatting.
And then at FootNote right click and have fun.

*edit* Also, with RefWorks, you can just select your journal style and it has the proper formating for citation and such!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 12:02:48 AM by enahs »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: ACS style and numering of references....
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 10:56:34 PM »
Word crashed! I guess Office'97 aint compatible with XP. A shame to find it out now, half-finish with my thesis :/

Switch back to Windows 98 to run Office 97. Win98 is far more stable than WinXP. LOL.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links