April 19, 2024, 06:21:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: a question about thermite and sodium  (Read 20483 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: a question about thermite and sodium
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 09:56:47 PM »
If you're interested in alkali metals, especially sodium, check out Theodore Gray's website.

Here is a link right to an article he has on his experience with sodium, and it has videos too.
http://theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Stories/011.2/index.html
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mnakhla

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Re: a question about thermite and sodium
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 11:57:57 PM »
I agree with the other posters.. to play with thermite...is out of the question ..especially since you said you are 14 meaning this is most likely your first chemistry course..and if you want to play with sodium you probably need a few more years lab experience...ive had a home made peice of potassium metal smaller then the tip of my pinky explode when placed in a small container of water..granted it wasnt a large explosion but a shard could have easily gotten in my eye.

actually interestingly enough that happened in my highschool when i was showing off a peice of k metal that i had made to my biology teacher...unfortunately she was talking to some lady at the time ...the lady turned out to be the dean of science... to say the least the dean of science was freaked out that someone had brought potassium to school and it did not look good for the teacher... luckly no one got in trouble.. but that is a prime example of what not to DO ...dont be stupid like me!

making thermite and alkali metals at home is very dangerous...
Im a freak and Im quite fond of it

Sponsored Links