April 27, 2024, 08:43:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Potentiometric titration  (Read 3582 times)

Offline maakii

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Potentiometric titration
« on: June 15, 2007, 04:06:06 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was doing a redox question on potentiometric titration when I realised that it was quite hard to answer without any knowledge of potentiometric titrations..

For one question, we have a solution of Sn2+ being oxidised by Fe3+ to give Sn4+ and Fe2+ using lets say a saturated calomel electrode(SCE) as reference. There are a few things I wish to know..

1)If we are connecting the reference electrode wth the Sn2+ half cell, then won't they react? Since Eo>0 for this pair of reference and indicator electrodes. But the answer says that it reacts with the Sn4+ produced.

2)What is at the equivalence point? It should have a sharp curve of voltage and is that when [Sn4+]>[Sn2+]?

Thanks a lot!

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: Potentiometric titration
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 02:00:25 PM »
ok, let me get this straight: You have a single compartment cell with a Pt electrode and a SCE reference?
Or a double compartment with the Iron/Tin couple in one and the calomel in the other, connected by a salt bridge?

And:
1)If we are connecting the reference electrode wth the Sn2+ half cell, then won't they react? Since Eo>0 for this pair of reference and indicator electrodes. But the answer says that it reacts with the Sn4+ produced.

this is unclear to me. "they" won't react? and "it" reacts? What are those referring to?

The equivalence point is observed when all the Sn2+ has been reacted to Sn4+. At that point the iron you keep adding will dominate the cell potential, as you cannot further reduce the Sn4+. So at the moment the potential you measure stops reflecting the Sn couple and changes into the value for the iron couple you have your equivalence point.

Sponsored Links