April 16, 2024, 07:36:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Complex salts  (Read 7376 times)

chemistrie

Complex salts
« on: December 23, 2004, 11:21:25 PM »
In my chemistry lesson, I know that zinc and copper will redissolve in excess ammonia  and becomes colorlesss solutions, what are the ions responsible for that?

HongKongALevelboy

Re:Complex salts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 04:44:38 AM »
for Zn , it should be [Zn(NH3)4]+ which is colorless .
for Cu , i have doubt because Cu(ii) complex should have blue color which is [Cu(NH3)4]2+ , can anybody answer me ?

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 07:15:32 AM »
Yes, [Zn(NH3)4]+  is colorless and [Cu(NH3)4]2+  is deep blue in colour.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 07:34:13 AM »
In my chemistry lesson, I know that zinc and copper will redissolve in excess ammonia  and becomes colorlesss solutions, what are the ions responsible for that?

chemistrie: I'm sure you meant Zinc(II) Hydroxide and Copper(II) Hydroxide redissolve in excess ammonia. cheers~
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

NISHANT

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 10:18:58 PM »
this should be simple:
zinc has its orbital octet complete so its electrons cannot travel to higher energy level and hence do not absorb light.As we move along a period valency of electrons first increases then decreases so you can say that the intensity of light absorbed first increases then decreases.by this defination copper salts emit blue light. the reagent you've given is called SHWITZZER'S REAGENT.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 11:11:06 PM »
for Zn , it should be [Zn(NH3)4]+ which is colorless .
for Cu , i have doubt because Cu(ii) complex should have blue color which is [Cu(NH3)4]2+ , can anybody answer me ?

shouldnt it be [Zn(NH3)4]2+ ???
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links