April 28, 2024, 08:26:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Issues balancing equations with diatomic molecules -  (Read 7321 times)

Offline ShannonC_77

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Issues balancing equations with diatomic molecules -
« on: June 23, 2007, 05:51:36 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to teach myself chem 30 right now so I can take chem 101 at university next year (working on my second degree).

What I don't understand right now, is whether the charge on a diatomic molecule gets multiplied in when you are trying to balance it.

For example, take

C + S8 (lower case 8)

The answer I'm told is CS2

So looking at this, the C ion has a charge of +4 (hopefully I'm right on that) and then the S8 molecule has a charge of -2.  So I would multiple 8 X -2 to get -16 and then this needs to balance out with the +4 charge on the C.

But the answer states it's CS2 , which doesn't make sense to me. Do you just ignore the subscript 8 on the C in the second half of the equation?

------------------

then another problem:

N2 + O2              and the answer they give is N2O

But if the Nitrogen has a charge of (-3) and oxygen has a charge of (-2), how does that work? Do I just need to memorize the equations for diatomic molecules?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Issues balancing equations with diatomic molecules -
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 06:38:47 PM »
Ignore charges, just balance atoms. You have to balance charges ONLY when they are 'visible' - ie some of the substances are in ionic form.

See balancing chemical equation lectures on my site.

However, now that I think about it - are you sure you are asking about balancing equations, not about predicting molecule formulas? If you have an equation given as C + S8 -> CS2 you don't have to think WHY it is CS2, you just have to find correct coefficients so that number of atoms of all elements will be identical both before and after reaction.

Predicting formulas is completely different thing - and it needs some memorization.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline ShannonC_77

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Issues balancing equations with diatomic molecules -
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have a feeling your site will come in very useful to me, right now and in the next few weeks as I progress.

I think you're right, I was getting slightly confused and it was a bit of both - first predicting why it was CS2 as that in itself didn't seem to make sense, but then when I added in the charges I got even more confused.  I'll try working through a few more equations now with this in mind. I think it clarifies it much better now.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links