March 28, 2024, 04:12:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nylon ~ How can I produce nylon in a classroom environment?  (Read 39566 times)

Offline Jacob

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How can i produce nylon fibres suitable for demonstration in a 5 - 10 min window?

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Nylon ~ How can I produce nylon in a classroom environment?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:04:23 PM »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:57:35 AM »
For classroom demo there is a classic experiment.

Type "Nylon rope trick" into google. or just follow this link: http://www.chem.umn.edu/services/lecturedemo/info/Nylon_Rope_Trick.html

I done this experiment at a uni open day once as a demo for prospective students.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:06:57 AM by P »
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 07:54:35 AM »
This experiment is so neat!
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:49:14 AM »
Yea, it's quite cool.  The hardest part is getting the rate at which you pull off the nylon right. Too fast and the 'rope' snaps  -  too slow and you get large eneven globs of material rather than a rope/string like product.           

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline viajador

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
hi there!

From your experince, do you think the Nylon Rope Trick is safe to let students do it themselfs in the classroom? The room has a ventilated shaft and the students will be equiped with gloves and gogles.

What is your opinion on this? The chemicals used are intimidating, but I'm talking about students from 15 years old up.

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 05:50:38 AM »
Traditionally I think the teacher usually does this.  The chems are a bit nasty.   I'd show the MSDS's involved to the person responsible for the safety of the children and discuss it with them.  If you did let them loose with it then you could give them a safety talk first outlining the hazards involved with the chems in use?  But to answer question truthfully  -  I do not know.. :) 

Regards,

P.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 02:33:32 PM »
Most preps use chlorinated solvents, and that is the most striking health hazard if memory serves.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 05:35:39 AM »
Most preps use chlorinated solvents, and that is the most striking health hazard if memory serves.

Yea - some of the monomers are a bit corrosive though - I cut and paste this from the demo instructions.  Sounds safe enough - depends on the age of the kids I suppose.

""Sebacoyl chloride is corrosive and reacts with water, so it causes severe burns to every area of contact. It is harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin.
1,6-diaminohexane is corrosive. It causes burnes to any area of contact. It is harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin. 1,6-diaminohexane is extremely destructive to the upper respiratory tract, eyes and skin. It is combustible either as liquid or as vapor.
Solid sodium hydroxide and its concentrated solutions can cause severe burns to eyes, skin, and mucous membranes.
Overexposure to vapors of hexane is irritating to the respiratory tract. Contact with liquid is irritating to skin and to eyes. ""

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 05:55:48 PM »
How can i produce nylon fibres suitable for demonstration in a 5 - 10 min window?

Are you a chem teacher... you must be insanely good to go around looking for ways to produce nylon in a classroom. I wish my chem teacher did that...
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Sponsored Links