March 28, 2024, 01:14:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: glycol and inkjet ink?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline deltoid07

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
glycol and inkjet ink?
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:21:09 AM »
Hey all!  I was wondering if anyone could give me more informtaion on the chemical glycol, the main ingredient in inkjet ink.  I am working on some experimental printmaking that usually uses oil-based ink in its processing.   However, I am trying to use a digital image printed from an inkjet printer.   I am curious if there is any knowledge about binders and/or solvents for glycol that would help adhere and then remove the ink from a plate.

PLease, I would appreciate any tips or info, or any leads to such help.   I have tried contacting companies with no avail and need as much help as I can get!
thanks!!!!!

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: glycol and inkjet ink?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:13:12 PM »
I very much doubt that "glycol" is the main ingredient in the ink jet formula - it is a kind of coalescing solvent/antifreeze/dewetting agent  - 
The formula will be as you said  -  mainly polymer binder and pigments within a solvent or waterborne matrix.

Here are some physical properties of a "glycol" but they are numerous (MEG  /  PEG... etc...)

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ET/ethylene_glycol.html

I reckon that if you type "Inkjet formulation" into google you will find all sorts of things to help you.   As for glycols  -  type "glycol" into the search engine and this will open you up to allot of literature about glycols.

Hope this helps  -

regards,

P.

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links