April 29, 2024, 12:03:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: polymer which softens at about 60C  (Read 6918 times)

Offline josey.mathew

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
polymer which softens at about 60C
« on: June 28, 2007, 04:56:19 AM »
Hi
I am an enginneering student and want to build a 3D printing machine. For that one of the major requirement is a polymer which is hard at room temperature but softens at about 60 degree Celsius. I have heard of polycaprolactone which is most suitable for my design. But I can't find any dealer for the same in India (preferably kerala). Can anyone help.
I would be glad if anyone can give me the procedure for making polycaprolactone in my chemistry lab (if it is possible)
Or
Please suggest any other polymer (which has some dealer in India OR can be easily fabricated)

thanks a lot for your help

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: polymer which softens at about 60C
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:23:37 PM »
Hi josey.mathew

Here is some information that I found on wiki

Polycaprolactone (PCL) is a biodegradable polyester with a low melting point of around 60°C and a glass transition temperature of about −60°C. PCL can be prepared by ring opening polymerization of ε-caprolactone using a catalyst such as stannous octanoate.

Ring opening polymerization of ε-caprolactone to polycaprolactone
This polymer is often used as an additive for resins to improve their processing characteristics and their end use properties (e.g.: impact resistance). Being compatible with a range of other materials, PCL can be mixed with starch to lower its cost and increase biodegradability or it can be added as a polymeric plasticizer to PVC.

Polycaprolactone is also used for splinting, modelling, and as a feedstock for prototype Fused Deposition Modeling systems such as RepRap

This information is found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycaprolactone

I hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline josey.mathew

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:53:48 AM »
yeah i had found it but it does not answer my query.
i dont know all the reactions and how to procced with them (as i am pretty oblivious to chemistry). I would be happyif somebody could tell me how to do the reaction. AND IS IT SAFE ??
thanks a lot for your help.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 08:55:29 PM »
PCL can be prepared by ring opening polymerization of ?-caprolactone using a catalyst such as stannous octanoate.

This is the chemistry of the reaction.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline leeton

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
 ;)I am sure it is safe! I did it! The process of the reaction is simple what you have to do is following the NO.1's suggestion.

good luck! 

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »
Dumb question.  Can you get by with wax instead of a polymers?  Many waxes will melt at about 60C, but are solid at RT.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »
Hello Josey,

If you are not familiar with reactions, please do not try this ... ever!

Any time you are dealing with creating polymers, there is a good chance that they are harmful in their 'active' state. It would be best to purchase the material in its stable form (usually small balls or pellets).

I wish you well on your printer.

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Sponsored Links