April 18, 2024, 10:18:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Magician Needs Help, Anyone???  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Magic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Magician Needs Help, Anyone???
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:19:09 AM »
Hello Everybody...

Effect 1
Im a magician and im looking at creating a new effect.  I want to be able to manipulate fire in my hands for a short time.  Ive heard that Heptane is a fairly good chemical to use as it is the gas that evaporates that is set on fire???

Does anyone have any ideas on chemicals i could use?

Effect 2
I need a chemical that would be invisible until heat is applied.  Kinda like the hyper shirts that had ages ago.  With this i could write the title of a card and no one could see it and when i apply heat the title is revealed..?

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
Re: Magician Needs Help, Anyone???
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 06:00:46 AM »
1. Most quickly vaporizing solvents can be burned on bare hands for a short time. Ethanol could be better choice since it's cheaper and doesn't seep throught the skin so fast.

2. Lemon juice, onion juice, diluted honey I've heard that even milk would work. These of course require a lot of heat, like a open flame or ironing and are not reversible.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:13:24 PM »
1) Use a mix of ethanol (plain alcohol) and water. You can even burn your hand without doing harm to your self. It is important to experiment with this to find the correct ratio of ethanol and water. Too much water in it, and it won't ignite anymore. Too little water in it, and it really burns your skin.
This also is used in tricks for burning bank notesm without damaging them.
Use a little salt to make the flames look orange, otherwise you barely see the flames.

2) Take a concentrated solution of KNO3 and use paper, which is somewhat absorbing (no kleenex, that is too much absorbing). Write with a little brush. Allow the paper to dry (takes quite some time, so you should plan this in your show, using a hairdryer makes the drying much faster). You then can light the place, where text is written and a glow goes through the paper, at the place where the KNO3 was written.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline Magic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 04:51:04 AM »
Thanks Guys For the great advice..  I will be trying the ethanol water mix some time this week :S  Lol, Hope i dont end in hospital over this!!

Sponsored Links