March 28, 2024, 04:29:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Any other element collectors/makers here?  (Read 47305 times)

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re: Any other element collectors/makers here?
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2007, 11:05:30 PM »
Obtaining a Troy Ounce of each Platinum Group Metal will cost you approximately $10,000 at the current going rate for these metals. 

You can also (as I do) settle for much smaller amounts of the rare metals.  In general, I try and aim for 10 g of each element, but for the expensive ones I have less, but try and get at least 1 g.

If you want something REALLY expensive, try and get your hands on 10 g of gem-quality carbon.  I'd love to have a vial filled with that much in pieces of that stuff.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »
I just had to laugh at this little fact.  I had to go to Wal-Mart today to pick up some things and decided to walk by the solvents and plumbing area.  Of course, they really don't have anything there that could be useful as the whole methamphetamine crap has caused Wal-Mart to remove anything good.

As I'm heading to the registers, I walked by the smoke detector area.  I nearly fell on the ground laughing when I saw this "barely in English" generic smoke detector there for $5.  On the back was the phrase "Caution: This detector contains approximately 1.0 microCuries of Americium-241...."  For only $5, how could I not pick this up?  Sure enough, I take it apart at home and there's the ionization chamber with a nice button of Am-241 in there.  So I, after much effort, removed it from the circuitboard and put it in a jar with my other Am-241 sample.

Who'd have thunk you could get a transuranic element for $5 at Wal-Mart?!!!!!   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline SteveB

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2007, 03:34:28 PM »
The next element I want a sample of is cesium. I seem to be obsessed with liquid metals. I don't know about everyone else but I find them to be very noble.

Also, Jdurg, thanks for replying in the mercury thread. I figured out what my ailment was. It obviously wasn't the mercury. I had one too many energy drinks the last couple of days causing my chest to tighten up. I stopped and now I feel great.

I got a little question or two for you about your element collection pictures: Did you take that picture of radium? If or if not, where did you take the picture? (I wouldn't go on asking if those were yours though.. would be interesting if they were! :-X)

Currently in my collection: 5g of Mercury, 10g of Gallium

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2007, 06:12:48 PM »
The next element I want a sample of is cesium. I seem to be obsessed with liquid metals. I don't know about everyone else but I find them to be very noble.

Also, Jdurg, thanks for replying in the mercury thread. I figured out what my ailment was. It obviously wasn't the mercury. I had one too many energy drinks the last couple of days causing my chest to tighten up. I stopped and now I feel great.

I got a little question or two for you about your element collection pictures: Did you take that picture of radium? If or if not, where did you take the picture? (I wouldn't go on asking if those were yours though.. would be interesting if they were! :-X)

Hi Steve.  No, the picture of Radium is not my sample.  My sample of radium is simply some old watch hands with a radium chloride based paint.  I found the picture of those rods of radium when I was doing some searching around on the internet.  I can't recall the exact site, but I know it was a government sponsored site that had the image of radium on there.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Buck Element

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 11:50:59 PM »
Hi All!

I want to make my own element (the full set of those available) ampoules. I've  have been digging on this site and on the internet; Have not found anything specific describing the procedure of sealing glass based ampoules under Ar.

Any references and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I definitely agree that acquisition opportunities seem to come in cycles...back to the element mines
Later

Offline Buck Element

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 10:23:04 PM »
I GUESS IT HAD TO HAPPEN...
My long run of luck has ended.  I got burned by an eBay element seller from the UK (not housecat). 
It is so degrading to have an element seller con you out of your cash (only $55 at that, how mean & petty).  I know others have gone through a lot worse, but this feeling of being helplessly raped while eBay and Paltalk watch with indifference is too much for me.  I will not let this happen again. I'm outta ebay.  Too many scummy predators. Be careful newbies!

Offline AfromOz

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Chemistry teacher in Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 08:27:09 AM »
If you've been done by a seller on eBay, then you should name them here!

What was their positive feedback rating?

Sorry you got conned.

Cheers,

Adam
If it goes pop, OK.
If it goes KABOOM, better.

Sponsored Links