April 19, 2024, 11:32:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hitachi UV-2010 UV/Vis Spec  (Read 10113 times)

jbays1973

Hitachi UV-2010 UV/Vis Spec
« on: January 03, 2005, 08:21:08 PM »
Hello:

I have been selected to carry out some UV analysis using an Hitachi instrument, (named above).  I am wondering if anyone that uses this forum has also used this device.  I am having trouble with generating my standard curve and the UV solutions software manual is not very helpful.  I thought that I had the standard table set up correctly, but when I scanned photometrically at 295, (as per substance MSDS), I only got the same absorbance values for my 5, 10, 20, and 40 mg/mL samples.  In time I feel that I could figure this out but we all know that time is money so if anyone out there has used this device, I sure would appreciate any input.

jim

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Hitachi UV-2010 UV/Vis Spec
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 10:51:28 PM »
Did they specifically say your absorbance value should change? And you do see an absorbance curve?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
We have an instrument Hitachi UV , what kind of cell did you use? In a region 295nm, a quartz cell should be use because optical glass cell have a great absorption in UV region.

jbays1973

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 08:00:57 PM »
Hello Folks:

Thanks for the information on the Hitachi UV, I appreciate the feedback on my question.   I feel kind of silly now that I have figured out what the problem was.  Here it is....I forgot to record the baseline on the instrument before the blank, standards, and samples.  Duh me.  In response to one of the replies, I was using quartz cells for the analysis. Things worked fine.  

Jim

Sponsored Links