April 27, 2024, 06:07:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: seperate glycerin from vegetable oil?  (Read 13175 times)

jimbo

seperate glycerin from vegetable oil?
« on: January 04, 2005, 10:26:05 PM »
yall,

this is not high school related.  i'm in my 40s and have a few chemistry questions.

when making biodiesel via transesterfication, basically the glycerin in the oil falls out and 3 free fatty acid molecules in the oil join up with 3 methanol molecules (added methanol).  the process for this is fairly straightforward for the smalltime or home brewer, but it uses methanol, the price of which is tied to the price of petrol.

i want to just free the glycerin and not bother with the methanol (which is nasty and expen$ive).  

adding salt to the oil seems to cause the glycerin to precipitate, but then i have to remove the salt from the oil before i use it as fuel.

what i'm aiming for is not biodiesel, but it can cold start a diesel and comes out of the waste stream (waste vegetable oil from a fast food joint).

1) is there a better way of removing glycerin from oil (rather than salt)?
2) how do i get rid of the remaining salt in the oil?
3) is there a test i can do on the veg oil for salt?

thanx,

jim :)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:seperate glycerin from vegetable oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 11:16:11 PM »
I'll tackle number 2) I don't think there will be a large salt content in your oil for you to do what I'm about to transcribe. You can add an equal volume of water, shake the whole thing up and the salt will then reside with the water; from there is should be easy enough to seperate oil and water.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 11:16:48 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 01:56:45 PM »
Let me try and understand what it is that you want.  Do you just want the glycerin and don't care about what's left over, or is the glycerin your 'waste' product?  If you just want the glycerin, you could use an easy saponification reaction where you add solid sodium hydroxide to the vegetable oil.  This will cleave the long chains from the glycerin molecule giving you pure glycerin and soap.  The glycerin is easily removed as it tends to rise to the top.  The stuff left over is what we all know as 'soap'.  That's probably the easiest and cheapest way to get glycerin, though I'm not 100% sure if that is what you want to do.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

jimbo

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 04:10:17 PM »
jdurg,

the glycerin is the waste product, i want the oil without the glycerin or salt.

jim :)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 01:30:34 PM »
distillation?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links