April 25, 2024, 07:30:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: So my Advisor said...  (Read 7671 times)

Offline CBond007

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
So my Advisor said...
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:28:57 PM »
So my advisor tells me I should consider some other field in chemistry besides synthesis.  I did not do very well on my qualifier but have a 3.5 avg in my graduate courses.  I am done with all the courses required for a Master's degree, I just need to finish up my research.  Right now it looks like I will be finishing up my MS degree in chemistry in Spring '08. 

I had my sights on getting a Ph.D in synthesis and then later teaching at the college level.  Now my hopes have been shot down and feel somewhat lost since I was only focusing on a career in synthesis.

Any advice would be appreciated during this dark time.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: So my Advisor said...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »
Some of the most important things discovered in Chemistry through out history were by people whose college professors and/or advisors basically said the same general thing.

I do not know what you mean by qualifier, but in all seriousness, any kind of paper and pencil test on synthesis means absolutely crap; in my opinion.

Offline CBond007

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
thanks for your thoughts.

The qualifier is an exam to get into the Ph.D program. 

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:19:12 PM »
thanks for your thoughts.

The qualifier is an exam to get into the Ph.D program. 

Ohh, one of those.

Ya know, maybe if you did not do so good and this guy wants to insult you, maybe you should point out to him that you are going to graduate soon, from the institution he works at, yet you are not able to do as well as he thinks you should on this test.

When it comes to advanced chemistry, test mean absolutely nothing.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 02:10:27 PM »
Do whatever you want. You will be more productive if you do what you want to do rather than what someone else thinks you should do.

It might be easier to get a non-synthesis project (as your advisor seems to think), but if you´re going to take something you´re not committed to you will not do well, and you might end up hating it. It is so important to be enthusiastic about the work you do, and the best chemists on paper are not necessarily the best chemists in practice - it´s a different world believe me.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links