March 29, 2024, 03:29:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What chemicals cause strong exothermic reactions with water?  (Read 7678 times)

Offline millon

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am having a debate with a friend about whether this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6UTGkC73GE is for real. I claim that he just sprinkles the towel with sodium hydroxide. I have used it before in a lab with water and aluminum foil to make hydrogen before to make hydrogen gas, and I know that that reaction gets pretty hot. I am just wondering if there are any other possible chemicals that he could be using.
For this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAAB0dbc3Es (starting at 1:50) I want to know what he may be using to burn the newspaper. My two guesses are that he is using zinc and either ammonium nitrate or sodium peroxide with sweat from his hands, but I would like to know what else could cause this same effect.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: What chemicals cause strong exothermic reactions with water?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:23:23 AM »
I would highly doubt it is real. NaOh would work, but if it leaks I'll leave a hole in his clothes the next time he washes them.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: What chemicals cause strong exothermic reactions with water?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:12:35 AM »
I would highly doubt it is real. NaOh would work, but if it leaks I'll leave a hole in his clothes the next time he washes them.
New jeans are preferable! Though wool is quite resistant to action of NaOH
AWK

Sponsored Links