April 19, 2024, 07:47:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cheaest place for pure glycerol?  (Read 18453 times)

Offline afruff23

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cheaest place for pure glycerol?
« on: July 27, 2007, 01:14:47 AM »
I know CVS sells 4 ounces for $2.50, but does anybody know any brick and mrotar stores that sell it for cheaper?

I want to do the experiment on this page called "Potassium Permanganate + Glycerine":
http://www.tb3.com/pyro/

Is this hot enough to weld metal? The reason I am looking into this is because it is a fused reaction (i.e. not instantaneous), so to speak.

If it isn't hot enough, then is this setup safe to weld/burn through thick metal like a pan?:

"Container with aluminum powder and iron oxide at bottom with 1 inch of glycerine on top. Put container on welding spot, then put in potassium permanganate and take cover (15 feet away enough?). The high heat should break through the container and weld the metal beneath."

What's a cheap container that won't explode, but instead break apart at high heat? I'm thinking styrofoam since it is really cheap and breaks apart quickly..

Will glycerine dissolve the aluminum powder or iron oxide? If so, then would this setup work? Does it matter if I add KMnO4 to glycerine rather than the other way around?

"Container one with aluminum powder and iron oxide. Container two with glycerine. Stack container two on top of container one. Add KMNO4. Take cover 15 feet away."

If this sort of discussion is not allowed, then please delete this topic. I read the rules, and this does not produce an explosion, merely a highly exothermic violent reaction.

BTW, anybody know a brick and mortar store that sells aluminum powder and iron oxide (oxidation number of iron doesn't matter) for a good price?

I know that iron oxide is simply rust, but if I scrape rust myself, will it be pure as store-bought iron oxide? Should I just scrape iron rust?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Cheaest place for pure glycerol?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 01:53:14 AM »
Ask in a drugstore
AWK

Offline afruff23

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 01:59:37 AM »
 :P like they'd know.

Anyways, the questions about price are not as important as the method. Could you please answer those questions?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:16:15 AM »
It is not an explosion but it is still a pyro stuff. We are walking thin line here, no idea what others will decide. I am not deleting the thread - for now.

Permanganate/glycerine mix serve just as ignition, it is not hot enought to weld anything. What it does is it ignites termite, that does the work.

Styrofoam is not a good idea. It will catch fire. Not to mention the fact that it may dissolve in glycerol (it may not, it is just a thing I would like to check before pouring glycerole into styrofoam).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline afruff23

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »
OK, thanks. I know that the glycerin/permangante reaction is not hot enough to weld but it is hot enough to provide the activation energy for the thermite reaction (which is very high). Not to mention that the reaction takes time to occur, so it is the safest "home-made" way of using thermite.

Offline afruff23

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:34:17 AM »
I know that styrofoam cups(which are not made of styrofoam BTW) burn, which is why I want that. I want the KMnO4+Glycerol reaction to burn through the cup and ignite the thermite below.

Also, on second though, I think this setup would be better:
"CUP 1 with KMnO4 in it. CUP 2 with thermite mix. Place cup 1 on cup 2. Pour glycerol into cup 1 and run.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »
What you describe is the thermite reaction ignited by permanganate and glycerin.  If you're having to come online to ask questions about it, you probably don't have enough resources or knowledge about it to do it safely.  Remember, anyone here can post anything.  Material in a printed chemistry text or encyclopedia has to have gone through editors and reviewers.  Check out your local university's chemistry library first.

Sponsored Links