June 16, 2024, 06:31:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dissolution and Endothermicity  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Vicstar

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dissolution and Endothermicity
« on: July 28, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »
When NH4Cl(s) is combined with H2O(l) in what I assume is a process of dissolving a solute into a solvent, what rationale is there to propose that it is endothermic rather than what I thought it to be exothermic?

I mean, when the ions form, the entropy of the solution increases and hence, would that not imply an exothermic reaction? It is however, endothermic.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Dissolution and Endothermicity
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:23:13 PM »
When ionic solids are dissolved by water, energy is required to break up the crystal structure. Whether or not the solvation of an ionic compound is endothermic or exothermic depends on the lattice energy of the compound.

[Disclaimer] I'm suffering from summer brain drain so I may have messed up a term.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Dissolution and Endothermicity
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 05:06:17 PM »
The change in entropy of a process is unrelated to the change in enthalpy of a process.  For example, the transition from liquid water to water vapor causes an increase in entropy but is an endothermic process.

Sponsored Links