March 29, 2024, 06:57:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: iron fluoride  (Read 7814 times)

yogiganesan

iron fluoride
« on: January 07, 2005, 10:29:49 AM »
hi
i not a chemistry major but my work now requires me to know the fundaes.
i work with iron fluoride which is supposed to be an ionic compound and we use samples of this compound dispersed in oil. i have come to believe that all ionic compounds dissociate into ions in oil/water. but i ve also heard that since the fe-f bond is strong the compound should not dissociate into ions. i wish to know whether this compound will dissociate or not in neutral oil.

angiems

Re:iron fluoride
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:27:59 PM »
Just taking a guess here...  I would say probably not, based on the fact that F is a fairly electronegative ion and should probably stick to the Fe, AND because oil is organic and thus not polar.  BUT I don't have a lot of experience and am not really good about this kind of questions, so I'm REALLY interested to see what other people have to say :D

HongKongALevelboy

Re:iron fluoride
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 04:27:43 AM »
let me try but i m not that sure if i m right . Iron Flouride is partly ionic and oil is non polar , FeF2 should not be soluble in oil if it s solid . if it s liquid in aqueous phase , it is a solution with Fe2+ and Cl- . when mixed with oil , 2 layers are seen .
i have a question here whether iron flouride is ionic enough to be saparated in oil because it has covalent property too

Sponsored Links