April 26, 2024, 10:57:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

Creating a buffer. Help me understand how its possible.

Buffer creation
0 (0%)
Creating a buffer
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Topic: Creating a buffer. Help me understand how its possible.  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Erichsen

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Creating a buffer. Help me understand how its possible.
« on: July 16, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
Hello there. Im new in here and wanna learn some more chemistry. I have allready read some books about buffers but non of them explains how its possible to create a buffer.

Lets say I want to make a 1M CH3COOH/CH3CHOO-.
I take 1M CH3COOH and the equilibrum gives:

CH3COOH + H2O <-> CH3CHOO- + H3O+ (mostly left)
Then I add 1M CH3COONa. The equilibrum then goes even more to the left to give the acetic acids Ka. But then Kb for this equilibrum cant be satisfied

CH3COO- + H2O <-> CH3COOH + OH-

Or can it? Am I doing something wrong in my thinking?

Plz hlp me out here
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:37:42 AM by Erichsen »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Creating a buffer. Help me understand how its possible.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 04:28:39 PM »
But then Ks for this equilibrum cant be satisfied

CH3COO- + H2O <-> CH3COOH + OH-

It IS satisfied. Always. You are making some mistake in your thinking, but to be honest - I have no idea where. Please try to elaborate, preferably with numbers, it will be easier to pinpoint the problem.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jacobcolbert

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
To prove it is satisfied you can write the Kb for the second equilibrium and then substitute [OH-]=Kw/[H3O+]. This will yield Kb=Kw/Ka. It is important to note that this Kb is for the conjugate base CH3COO- not acetic acid. The Kb for acetic acid would be some ridiculously low thing. Hope this is what you were talking about.

Offline Erichsen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 05:45:57 PM »
Jacobcolbert thx for your advice. I translate it to this

Kb= [CH3COOH][OH-] / [CH3COO]

Then your advice gives

kb = [CH3COOH](kw/[H3O]) / [CH3COO]

kb = [CH3COOH] kw / [H3O][CH3COO]

kb * [H3O][CH3COO]/[CH3COOH] = kw

kb * ks = kw

Does this explains my problem? I mean I start with a solution of 1M acetic acid. It gets mixed with 1M acetate. I cant understand why these two equilibrums (for ks and kb) doesnt affect each other? Or at least I cant see it mathematical how a solution containing 1M acetic acid and 1M acetate is possible without breaking the laws :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 06:22:37 PM »
System containing CH3COOH, CH3COO-, H+, OH- and H2O is described by two equilibria (water dissociation and acetic acid dissociation) and three mass balances (carbon, oxygen, hydrogen). Five equations with five unknown concentrations. "Just" solve. "Just" because system is not linear...

Note that adding equation for acetate hydrolysis you don't add any new information to the system - you still have the same five unknowns and five independent equations. 6th equation is just a comibnation of two others so it doesn't add new information about the system.

Oh, and by the way - your Ks will be better understood here if you will name it Ka ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Erichsen

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 06:12:59 AM »
Oh sorry for my use of Ks, i really mean Ka. Its because im from Denmark where acid its called "syre" which leads to Ks :). And 5 equations, thats alot, maybe thats why i couldnt see the connection. Can u write an example of a massbalance with carbon in this situation. Then i think i can solve the rest, or at least try. Thx for all the replies.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 07:34:39 AM »
I know acid is Säuren in German so I got it, not without problems at first ;)

You don't have to put all mass balances into your system of equations. You may safely assume that water concentration is constant and the only mass balance required is that of acetate/acetic acid:

[CH3COOH] + [CH3COO-] = const

(const must be sum of both initial concentrations of acetic acid and acetate). Note that it is identical to carbon mass balance. Compare with - say - hydrogen balance:

4[CH3COOH] + 3[CH3COO-] + [H+] + [OH-] + 2[H2O] = const

In most cases you don't have to use mass balances for every element, just like you don't have to balance every element separately when balancing reaction equations - say, you just balance SO42-, not S and then O.

However, I did something wrong, I haven't mentioned very important charge balance:

[CH3COO-] + [OH-] = [H+] + [Me+]

where Me+ is a cation entered into solution with the acetate. Looks to me like 5 equations/5 unknowns mentioned earlier won't work - probably out of three (C, H, O) there are only two independent mass balances, and third is some combination of these two, sorry about that.

See introduction to acid/base equilibrium calculation. In your case set of equations is:

[CH3COOH] + [CH3COO-] = const

[CH3COO-] + [OH-] = [H+] + [Me+]

[OH-][H+] = Kw

[CH3COO-][H+]/[CH3COOH] = Ka

There are four unknowns and four equations; fifth unknown was water (it is now hidden in the Kw; see water ion product). Solving it will be hard, browse my lectures to see ideas about how to deal with such problems.

Offline Erichsen

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 03:29:41 PM »
Okay thank for your help. One last question. How can it be that when u create a buffersolution u add like 1mol acetic acid and 1mol natriumacetate, why not JUST 2 mol acetic acid? It gives the same ions/molekyles in the solution or (except no Na+)?

I bet it has something to do with the charge balance you talk about? (yes i know im a little slow on this bufferthing, but i really never totally understood it :), except for its uses )

Sponsored Links