April 29, 2024, 08:22:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: uv-vis spectroscopy  (Read 5054 times)

Offline farah

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
uv-vis spectroscopy
« on: July 30, 2007, 09:21:52 AM »
I'm curious, why must the concentration of the solution not be too high during wavelenght measurement.
p.s  i'm using cintra 5, a table top spectrometer.

Offline Nick

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
    • Conley Chemical Consulting
Re: uv-vis spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Farah,

In UV/vis absorption spectrophotometry, you measure the amount of light attenuation that occurs as it passes through the sample.  By not appearing at the detector, a photon "reports" the presence of an absorbing molecule.  In order to make a quantitative measurement, there must be a very high probability that only zero or one absorbing molecules reside in the "pathlength" of a single photon.   Why?  Iimagine the case where the concentration is so high, there are several absorbing molecules in the pathlength of a single photon.  Since the photon can only be absorbed once, it's failure to appear at the detector indicates a single absorbing molecule and it cannot report on the many molecules directly behind it.  As a result, the measured concentration is lower than the actual concentration.  This is the basis for the nonlinearity (plateau) observed in a plot of ABS vs. concentration at high concentrations.  To be in the linear regime of Beer's law, one must dilute the sample, ideally below an absorbance of 1.
Nick Conley, Principal
Conley Chemical Consulting
www.conleychem.com

Offline farah

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: uv-vis spectroscopy
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:29:47 AM »
thanx a lot nick. i really appreciated tht  :)

Sponsored Links