April 20, 2024, 01:46:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Checking PBB/PBBE via FLAA spectrometer  (Read 5774 times)

Cave-man-2004

Checking PBB/PBBE via FLAA spectrometer
« on: January 08, 2005, 05:47:57 AM »
Is there any indirect method available that we can detect the presence of PBB or PBBE or brominated compound on some plastic samples via FLAA spectrometer?  I understand that it can be done through Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer, GCMS.  But with the limited facility, I would like to know if FLAA possible.  The indirect method means that it need not to directly detect the presence of brominated compound, but instead to detect those other elements or compounds (by-products) being formed at the pre-treatment process.

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Checking PBB/PBBE via FLAA spectrometer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:24:18 AM »
What is PBB/PBBE means?

For Bromide, it is very difficult to use the indirect determination method by flame AAS. If your sample contain other halides, then we can't use AgNO3 to ppt pure AgBr after fusion the sample with Na2CO3.

Cave-man-2004

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 06:08:58 AM »
PBB and PPBE stands for polybrominated biphenyls and polybrominated biphenylethers repectively.
Please continue to give comments.  Thanks.

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 10:43:57 AM »
You can try to mix the sample with Na2CO3 and then fusion. Using pure water to dissolve the fused material. Determine the anions with the ion-chromatography (IC)method because halides can be separate by the resin column and detected by conductivity meter. :)

Sponsored Links