April 27, 2024, 03:25:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can an engineer be a chemist?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Lufias

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How can an engineer be a chemist?
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »
Hye everyone.. i just join this forum today.. nice to meet you all here.. i'd like to ask for some advice or suggestion.. actually im a graduate with a bachelor degree of chemical engineering.. ive been working several times since then.. including QA officer and engineer.. but i really interested in becoming a chemist.. finally now i manage to land a lab related job as a quality control assistant.. so, i have the opportunity to work with typical chemist tool such as HPLC and GC.. so, now im seeking to pursue my master degree in science chemistry..

i dont know if i will be able to do it.. currently im actively revising my books.. ive been reading both general and organic chemistry since last month.. i dont know if that would be enough.. i believe not.. so, i really hope that you can give me some advice.. what are the basics should i have? is there really any engineer that change their career into a chemist? what are the books should i read?

should i really learn everything what all my chemist friends learn? because if im not mistaken, master degree is more on specific field within chemistry.. i was thinking perhaps that i would like to do research in biofuel.. something like catalysis maybe.. or anything to improve the process.. what field of chemistry would that fall into?

Offline McCoy

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
Re: How can an engineer be a chemist?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 06:09:46 AM »
You have chosen well to be a chemical engineers, but welcome to the world of amazing science.
Biofuel would fall into organic Chemistry..I think you will struggle a little bit given that you don't even know that biofuel fall into the field of organic chemistry, but i think overall you can make it. Good luck.

Sponsored Links