April 19, 2024, 11:38:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question regarding Ionization and concentration.  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Neilb75

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question regarding Ionization and concentration.
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »
I have a question regarding a solution of CaCl2. I have formed the solution by adding anhydrous calcium chloride to pure water. I understand that the solubility will increase with an increase in temperature. I created the solution at a temperature of 80F. The solution created contains 2500ppm of total dissolved solids. This is a weak solution, far from being saturated.
My question is, if I increase the temperature of this solution of CaCl2 what happens to the existing concentration of ions?? Will heat effect the concentration of Ca and Cl ions?? If so how?
Heat increases the conductivity of the solution rendering the TDS meter reading inaccurate to determine if there is an increase in the concentration of ions.

Many thanks

Offline Neilb75

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Question regarding Ionization and concentration.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
I think I should have posted this question in the inorganic forum....
I have reposted the question there.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Question regarding Ionization and concentration.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:45:25 PM »
Increasing the temperature will not significantly affect the concentration of ions in an unsaturated solution.  The concentration will be affected slightly, however, because increasing the temperature of the solution increases its volume slightly.  This leads to a very small decrease in concentration.

Sponsored Links