April 26, 2024, 01:03:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: is this reaction possible?  (Read 4098 times)

ScottJohnson

is this reaction possible?
« on: January 11, 2005, 05:26:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

If calcium hypochlorite (pool chlorine) and NaCl are added to boiling water and agitated, is it possible for them to react to form calcium chlorate or sodium chlorate?

thanks for any information.

Scotty
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:28:18 AM by ScottJohnson »

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:is this reaction possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 06:47:38 AM »
If you want to make group I chlorates or hypochlorites, bubble chlorine gas through a solution of the group I hydroxide, the reaction will yield hypochlorites if done in the cold, and if the solution be boiling, you get chlorates.

I have made chlorates in this manner, but I haven't tried to produce hypochlorites using this reaction.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:is this reaction possible?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 11:06:41 AM »
Making the hypochlorite is a bit easier since it's done at room temperature.  This is how bleach is made.  (Chlorine gas is passed through a solution of sodium hydroxide forming sodium hypochlorite).  The reverse of this procedure is generally how you make chlorine gas in small quantities.  (At a low pH, the reverse reaction is favored which forms chlorine gas from a hypochlorite solution.  At high pH, the formation of hypochlorite is favored).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links