March 29, 2024, 07:51:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Starting with biochemistry, pharmacology  (Read 2876 times)

Offline whatis

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Starting with biochemistry, pharmacology
« on: August 27, 2007, 05:43:53 AM »
Now I know that this seems like a stupid question to ask. My sources are limited though. Since this is my first post let me introduce myself, I am a PFC of the US army currently stationed in Korea. I'm 20 years old and am now just figuring out what i want to do with my life. The majority of people in the army are not so intelligent, and i don't speak or read Korean. Also, the schools the army lets me go in are not chemistry, medically, or psychology friendly. I am stuck to the internet for learning witch can be quite tedious. So, I come here to ask where is a good place to start. Apparently high school chemistry books will be a first guess. But, as for anything to do with pharmacology im pretty much stuck. since biochemistry was the closest related thing I had to learn, I figured this would be a good place to signup for. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm asking the wrong questions in the wrong places, but I've hit a wall! Thank you for any help.

William Spillman

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: Starting with biochemistry, pharmacology
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:06:37 PM »
in my humble opinion, the internet is a very limited medium to learn a new craft. It can be great for quick referencing, but not really to learn a full trade.

But since you are  stuck with internet only...
Anyway, the best would be for a family member or a friend to send over a textbook to you.

As far as subjects go, biology and organic chemistry are the first you'd be interested in. Biochemistry is generally a bit more advanced than either one of those 2. So I'd recommend to get the basics first.

For purely farmacology you just have to learn medicines (active ingredients) and their effects. Maybe your medic over there might help you with finding sources of learning.

As where to find it, I have to refrain from answering, as I don't know reliable websites that cover these subjects.

Sponsored Links