March 29, 2024, 04:26:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What exactly is electrolysis?  (Read 6392 times)

Corvettaholic

What exactly is electrolysis?
« on: April 13, 2004, 05:27:14 PM »
I remember my old chemisry teacher stuck two electrodes in water, and somehow managed to extract (seperately) oxygen and hydrogen. This is electrolysis right? How exactly does it work, and what can I apply it to as far as synthesizing stuff? My technical know how is about as far as balancing equations and electrical type stuff. Relatively new to this whole chemistry thing  :)

With electrolysis, could I somehow get pure oxygen gas from water? How would I need to set up the electrodes and containers for that to work? I need a small quantity of pure O2 for a little science project I'm working on.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
Re:What exactly is electrolysis?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 11:59:28 AM »
I don’t know the exact details of the reaction but what electrolysis does is breaks apart some chemical bonds. For example water and sodium chloride will form H2O + NaCl ==> H2 + NaOH + O2 + Cl. Don’t pay attention to the fact that I’m too lazy to balance my equation. You’ll want to filter your water because small amounts of compounds like sodium chloride in the water will contaminate your oxygen.
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 08:08:14 AM »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 07:05:32 AM »
Electrolysis ,in a general form,is basically the splitting of an electrolyte(a liquid or aqueos solution that conducts electricity due to the presence of ions whether they be dissociated or not) by an electric current (amperage).If you look in any books about this you will often get meanings like this.

Sponsored Links