April 26, 2024, 06:56:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cyclopentane  (Read 2820 times)

Offline alibaba

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cyclopentane
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »
hi to everyone. i need to ask before i try:)

Cyclopentane is enclosed in a rubber ballon. when dipped in water that is 55C hot it expands due to the liquid to vapour process (cyclopentane has a boiling temp of 49.5C). i want to know at what temp approximately will it convert back to its liquid form ( the balloon will contract to its original shape.any way to speed up the process?the room temerature is 30C. will the temperature difference (water-room) be sufficient to cause a quick vapour-to-liquid reaction thus contracting the ballon?

thanks ^_^ 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Cyclopentane
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:05:14 PM »
(cyclopentane has a boiling temp of 49.5C). i want to know at what temp approximately will it convert back to its liquid form

In a way it is funny.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lavoisier

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-3
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
Re: Cyclopentane
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 01:23:23 PM »
Is the pressure inside the balloon exactly 1 atm? I don't think so, because otherwise balloons wouldn't blow their content out when the opening is released. The elasticity of rubber must play a role here.

If that's the case, we may expect the boiling point to be different from the standard one.

Sponsored Links