March 28, 2024, 06:15:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical forumae for body cells  (Read 9520 times)

pizza1512

Chemical forumae for body cells
« on: January 17, 2005, 06:36:33 AM »
What is the chemical formulae for blood? ???

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Chemical forumae for body cells
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 05:26:58 AM »
blood is a mixture of compounds.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

pizza1512

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 06:34:05 AM »
But it can still have a formulae...

::)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 06:50:39 AM »
A mixture of compounds can't have a single formula, do you mean the total composition of blood?

Blood is composed mainly of water, and various salts in solution, and the red blood cells, with lesser amounts of white blood cells, of various kinds, and platelets which bind with the protein fibrin to cause the blood to clot in tissue injury.

There are also various antibodies in there, which are different, from person to person.

(Heh, and in my case, I woul say that 99.9% of the time, theres some form of cannabinoid compounds liberally mixed in too ;D)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

dexangeles

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 09:31:48 AM »
it's almost the same question as asking what is a protein's (eg. lactoferin) chemical formula?  Or what is DNA's chemical formula.  We might know the Adenine, Cytosine, Thymine, Guanine, and their chemical composition, but much larger molecules are unknown.  If we did then it would be easy to cure everything.  Try searching for glycoproteins and see the extent of their composition.

pizza1512

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 09:46:21 AM »
So not everything in the world can have a formulae?

>:(

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 02:24:49 PM »
Mixtures can't though.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

savoy7

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 01:50:24 AM »
Maybe this might help -

Chemistry and Biology work hand/hand.  Cells are made of chemicals.  Some may give a list of essential elements for life to exist.  A common list is:  CHONSP.  Now this elements can help make a list of essential macromolecules necessary for life.  A common list is:  lipids, carbohydrates, proteins and nucleic acids.

When looking at the aboitic (non - living) and biotic (living) parts to a system, I have used a biomass formula.  In a sense, these are the atoms necessary to produce biomass (living mass), which could relate to a chemical equation for cells.

106 CO2  + 16 NO3- +  HPO4-2  +  122 H2O  +  18 H+  (+ trace elements and energy) yields

C106H263O110N16P1  + 138 O2

the big molecular formula at the end is biomass.  I don't know how to use the subscript yet.  As for a source of this equation - I don't have the citation right in front of me - I had the formula in some work with nutrient flows in a system.  An ecologist can look at this - especially water and see that an algal bloom (a whole bunch of algae growing) (biomass) is limited mainly by phosphates in a system.  So, if phosphate runs off into a lake, one usually will see a whole lotta plants.  One could also look at solid waste plants.  Fecal matter (biomass in a sense)  can break down by using microbes.  In order for it to happen effectively, lots of oxygen is bubbled in the system.  The microbes go through aerobic respiration and break down the biomass.  If it is done with enough oxygen the fecal matter doesn't stink.

This is also why fertilizer contains phosphates and nitrates.  Don't have to worry about the carbon, grass can fix it from air.

Again - this is a biomass equation, one might be able to relate to cells

savoy out

Sponsored Links