April 24, 2024, 06:29:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Life After the Oil Crash  (Read 41416 times)

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
Life After the Oil Crash
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:08:44 AM »
A doomdays prophecy from this site:
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

"approximately 10 calories of fossil fuels are required to produce every 1 calorie of food eaten in the US. "

"What about alternative energy systems like solar panels and wind turbines? Are they also manufactured using petroleum and petroleum derived resources? Yes."

They also shows this very strange graph (see down below). Some are talking abot the "post-industrial stoneage". Happy times ahead, everyone is going to own a horse. People in Norway will travel by reindeers. Shipping is done by wind. We will use steam engines again.

Do you believe this?
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Life After the Oil Crash
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 06:20:41 PM »
Don’t you think that we will just find another liquid energy source?

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:29:09 PM »
"approximately 10 calories of fossil fuels are required to produce every 1 calorie of food eaten in the US. "

Out of curiosity, calories or kilocalories. I ask because food is measured in kilocalories.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 11:09:36 PM »
No.

Because when it gets down to crunch time and we are very super low on fossil fuels we will stop with the ridiculous taxes and fees and crap on Nuclear power, so it is then cost effective.

The only reason Nuclear power is not the main source of energy in the US is due to the extra cost due to government regulations and such put into place to appease voters who have no clue about how nuclear power plants work and think they are horribly dangerous and bad because the nuclear bomb has nuclear in its name. And the small amount of waste it makes can be used for naughty.

Once ~100% of or energy is coming from nuclear power and renewable fuel sources and we have more then we need, we can then use the extra "clean" energy on producing hydrogen from water to run fuel cells or straight up hydrogen burning cars.

You can then use all that energy to make all the solar cells, gas turbines, tidal wave generators, more hydroelectric dams, etc etc.

We are not going to wake up one day and be out of oil or energy. We will eventually run out, and I think we should make it last as long as possible since it makes life easier, but I call crap.
Nothing to see here, move along.

But if there is an apocalypse, we as chemist are the most perfect suited to survive and repopulate the world.

You can read the book:
http://cavemanchemistry.com/
aka
How To Survive after an Apocalypse
to prepare if you are that paranoid!

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 06:00:41 PM »
Well I don't know if the transition will be that smooth. We might wake up one day and find we're out of oil, and then there will be a global crisis until our leaders are replaced with people who can think. Then they will realize how to use nuclear and renewable energy and then we will have hydrogen fuel cars. But there will be a gap of maybe a few months to a year where there will be a global crisis. I think it will be fun to watch from my point of view because I won't be using fossil fuels when it happens, so ha!
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Sponsored Links