April 19, 2024, 09:35:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Delocalisation in chlorate(VI)  (Read 9314 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Delocalisation in chlorate(VI)
« on: January 18, 2005, 04:31:37 AM »
HClO4 <-> ClO4- + H+

HClO4 dissociates according to the above equation to produce chlorate(VI) ion. My lecturer said that the chlorate(VI) ion exhibit electron delocalisation. I, however, am not convinced.that this ion should. VSEPR predicts this ion to be tetrahedral and therefore I cant see how the p and d orbitals overlap in a plane to faciliatate electron delocalisation.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 04:32:09 AM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Delocalisation in chlorate(VI)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 01:43:12 PM »
Anyone who tells you that d-orbitals are involved needs to be beat down, this is a common lie people tell students and it adds nothing to the understanding of the phonomena of hypervalency.

I think he only means that the charge is not localized on one oxygen but spread accross the entire molecule. Also, VSEPR has no way to make sence of Hypervalency only MO theory can handle it properly.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 03:32:55 PM »
the charge is spread over the entire molecule?

not only chlorate(VI) is tetrahedral, but also each Cl-O bond is equivalent to the other, therefore you can't differentiate the the oxygen where hydrogen was originally bonded to from the other oxygen atoms, after the dissociation process.

chlorate(VI) can be described a central chlorine atom doubled bonded to 4 oxygen atoms. this arrangement leads to a -1 formal charge on the Cl atom and 0 formal charge on the O atoms. How can see if the charge should be spread among the entire molecule?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Mr Amino

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 11:28:27 PM »
Well I am no inorganic chemist but it would simply make sense that this particular molecule with -1 charge would exhibit electron delocalization.  If, for instance, that charge were localized around a certain oxygen atom, that would be an interesting phenominon indeed.

I dont think this has anything to do with the interaction of molecular orbitals.  I see a central atom surrounded by equivalent atoms with identical electronegativity and similar bonds so it would only make sense that the charge be distributed around the molecule.

Im not sure what your class is studying right now so I can't really comment on what theory your professor is trying to demonstrate with this example.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 11:33:22 PM by Mr Amino »

Demotivator

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 11:38:54 PM »
It's not chlorate, it's perchlorate(VII)

Perchlorate has a lewis structure of three double bonds and one single bond (one O formal charge of -1) and 4 resonance structures.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 11:58:37 PM »
Domotivator is right.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 01:01:22 PM »
perchlorate(VII) with the -1 formal charge on one of the oxygen atoms. electron delocalisation happens because we are unable to account which oxygen atom where the -1 charge should be located?

Sponsored Links