April 19, 2024, 04:35:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Draino bomb chemical formula  (Read 12515 times)

dero2

Draino bomb chemical formula
« on: January 18, 2005, 09:36:16 PM »
I think most people here would know what a draino bomb is, so there's no need to go into details. I need to know the chemical reaction that is going on here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited since we really don't need to be telling people how to blow stuff up.  -Jdurg
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 08:36:30 PM by jdurg »

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Draino bomb chemical formula
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 08:38:45 PM »
Okay, now that the bomb-making part of the post has been corrected, I can help you out.   ;)  The reaction between the draino and the aluminum is simply sodium hydroxide reacting with aluminum metal.  This generates hydrogen gas and an elevated temperature.  In fact, the aluminum/NaOH reaction is what makes drain cleaners work.  It effervesces and the building gas pressure helps unclog pipes.  If that evolving gas is confined, then serious problems can happen.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 09:31:07 PM »
Heh, I remember I used to set those things off as a bored kid looking for kicks, what I wondered is, what is the product name for the aluminium grey aluminium compound that forms when NaOH reacts with Al?

Sodium aluminate? NaAlO? and what can it be used for in a lab setting (I.E not blowing stuff up ;D)

I thought simple NaOH was effective enough on its own as a drain cleaner, as all the NaOH sold OTC in the UK for cleaning is pure, anhydrous NaOH, with no aluminium whatsoever in it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 09:32:25 PM by limpet chicken »
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:16:58 PM »
Plain NaOH will work very well as it can eat through greases and a bunch of other crap thus making it water soluble.  Certain brands, however, claim 'extra cleansing power' and whatnot, and those generally have powdered aluminum or aluminum pellets which get mixed with the NaOH when you pour it down the clogged drain, thus making the hydrogen gas.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links