April 25, 2024, 08:25:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anti-glare ideas for shiny textbooks?  (Read 14331 times)

Offline sapphirepalace

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Anti-glare ideas for shiny textbooks?
« on: September 20, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »
Silly question... but do any of you have any ideas on how I could reduce overhead lighting glare on (stupid)shiny textbook pages? I'm thinking along the lines of some type of microfine spray that would give the pages a matte finish.

My textbooks are really annoying this year, and I've tried all sorts of lamps, lighting adjustments, and different types of bulbs, but to no avail. I'm not a science major, so the only thing that immediately comes to mind would be to spray the pages with a fine mist of corn starch. However, my inner desire to resell those textbooks at the end of the term tells me this isn't the best idea in the world!

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this...

Thanks!

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Anti-glare ideas for shiny textbooks?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »
I've had similar problems with some of my textbooks.

Try using a coated soft light incandescent bulb, or some type of light shielding (like a lamp shade). I don't use direct light. It's always from behind or in front at some funny angle. That seams to work for me.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links