April 29, 2024, 07:00:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: elemental atomic energy densitys  (Read 3099 times)

Offline D4rr3n

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
elemental atomic energy densitys
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »
Where can I get accurate values for atomic radius so that I can calculate atomic volume?

Atomic radius given in charts to my understanding is not the true radius of an atom but is rather a function of two bonded atoms.

I want to divide the atomic mass by the true atomic volume to get the relative energy density’s of each atom in the periodic table.

I could be wrong but I don’t think a standard chart of density’s (g/cm3) would allow me to compare atomic energy density’s due to the various crystal structures in elements i.e. some crystal structures probably geometrically allow more atoms per unit volume then others.

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: elemental atomic energy densitys
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »
"atomic radius" is used in different ways. As you said, it's different if you consider bonded atoms, and even in neutral atoms there are different calculated/empircal values.

here is a table with the different values and an explanation as to what they mean

Offline D4rr3n

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: elemental atomic energy densitys
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »
E = mc2 therefore mass is energy. Mass divided by volume gives you the density and since mass is energy we can call it the energy density.

If it were possible to know the true radius of an atom of a particular element e.g. Aluminum then you could calculate the true volume of that atom. Divide the mass by the volume would give you the energy density for the atom. Since every element has a different mass and volume then each element has its own energy density which is unique to it.

My question is this, If I wanted to make a chart so that it would be possible to make a comparison of energy densitys (on an atomic level) for various elements could I use standard density (g/cm3) chart or would the difference in the crystal structure of each element introduce errors, i.e. some crystal structures may geometrically allow more atoms per unit area then others?
I’m trying to explain this but not sure I have done a good job of it, hope you understand what I’m getting at.

Sponsored Links