April 28, 2024, 09:31:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Recrytallization question  (Read 11976 times)

Offline FiendishFrog

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Recrytallization question
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:29:53 AM »
I have 2 questions that I am not entirely sure about. Any help would be great. :)

Which among ethanol, water and hexane would be the better solvent to dissolve (not necessarily for recrystallizing) naphthalene? Why?
I think that naphthalene is a pretty stable structure, so would it be a stronger solvent?

What is the problem of using recrystallizing solvents with low boiling points like acetone?
Would it dissolve too quickly?

I'm confused.  :-[

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: Recrytallization question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:14:33 AM »
Which among ethanol, water and hexane would be the better solvent to dissolve (not necessarily for recrystallizing) naphthalene? Why?
I think that naphthalene is a pretty stable structure, so would it be a stronger solvent?

Water is a very strong solvent but do you think napthalene will dissolve in water?  Remember "like dissolves like".  Napthalene is non-polar, which is the non-polar solvent?

What is the problem of using recrystallizing solvents with low boiling points like acetone?

What is the point of a recrystallisation and how do you do carry it out?
What happens to solubility with changes in temperature?

Offline FiendishFrog

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:34:07 AM »

Water is a very strong solvent but do you think napthalene will dissolve in water?  Remember "like dissolves like".  Napthalene is non-polar, which is the non-polar solvent?

Ahh, so hexane is non-polar and if Napthalene is too, then it would dissolve. Got it. Thanks.

What is the point of a recrystallisation and how do you do carry it out?
What happens to solubility with changes in temperature?

I've never actually had to recrystallize anything, but my textbook says that organic compounds tend to become more soluble as the temperature is raised.  If so, I suppose that solvents with a low boiling point wouldnt have much temperature difference and wouldn't be successful. Is this correct?
Also, just for argument's sake, if a recrystallizing solvent dissolves some solute at room temperature, would it make it more difficult to work with? Based on my own reading, temperature has something to do with it, but I am still not completey clear on the concept...

Thank you for your help.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:13:39 PM »
For recrystallization, you want your compound to have a high solubility at high temperature and a low solubility at low temperature.  This way, you can heat a small amount of solvent to boiling and dissolve all of your compound.  Then, upon cooling, most of your compound should come out of solution (since its solubility is low at low temperatures).

Sponsored Links