April 20, 2024, 10:16:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: can ammonia be a Lewis acid?  (Read 14265 times)

tashkent

can ammonia be a Lewis acid?
« on: November 21, 2004, 12:55:49 AM »
Greetings everyone!

I've encountered a confusing problem in my GRE Chemistry exam recently.  The question asks for : Which of the following substances is uncommonly used as a Lewis acid?  The choices are: Aluminum chloride, aluminum bromide, ammonia and AlH3.  I think the answer should be ammonia, coz its a Lewis base.  But I fell for this question, thinking that ammonia could accept an electron, forming an amide (NH2-).  So I answered aluminum bromide, since I'm not familiar with the reaction it catalyzes.  I'm also having doubts about LiAlH3, since it can accept an electron, forming LiAlH4.

Are my observations correct?  I would appreciate if someone can shed light on this problem.  I believe I mixed up everything...

Regards,
Tashkent

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:can ammonia be a Lewis acid?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 01:56:44 AM »
All are very good lewis acids except ammonia.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 10:57:24 AM »
How can LiAlH3 accept an electron and become LiAlH4?  In order to make that conversion, it would have to accept a hydrogen atom which is NOT an electron.  Also, if ammonia accepts an electron it would become NH3- and NOT NH2-.  In order to become NH2- it would need to lose a positively charged hydrogen atom.  If you're getting these things confused, then you'll have a really tough time on the GRE.   ;) ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline maxyoung

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-2
  • WITH NO FUTURE
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 05:04:50 AM »
ammonia can accept an electron? there will be nine e's around nitrogen
it will violate the octect rule

Fat Elvis

The wording of the question is weird...
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 11:54:50 AM »
If you wrote it the way it came in the gre, "which is uncommonly used as a Lewis acid?" Uncommonly is kind of a weird adverb. Aluminum chloride and bromide are both commonly used as Lewis acids. Alane (AlH3) isn't used for much of anything, much less as a Lewis acid (it is a LA, though). It's normally used as a reducing agent or hydride transfer agent. So I'd say it's uncommonly used as a LA. Ammonia, on the other hand, is never used as a LA, because it's in fact a Lewis base. But I'm sure that the answer they're looking for is NH3.

NH3 can act as a hydrogen bond donor (and also as an acceptor), so in that respect it sort of has Lewis acidic character. But that's a bit of a stretch. The vacant orbital in that case is the N-H anti-bonding orbital.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 06:48:16 PM »
a lewis acid is an electron pair acceptor.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: can ammonia be a Lewis acid?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 12:36:31 AM »
what about ammonia in a lewis adduct, for example with iodine, I2
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: can ammonia be a Lewis acid?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 01:25:06 AM »
what about ammonia in a lewis adduct, for example with iodine, I2
Ammonia reacts with iodine. The so called ammonia adduct is in fact actuct NI3 with NH3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_triiodide
AWK

Sponsored Links