April 19, 2024, 08:00:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I have questions on the study guide that I need help answering for school  (Read 25473 times)

Offline Sev

• Mole Snacks: +43/-6
Re: I have questions on the study guide that I need help answering for school
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 01:07:48 AM »
12. If a plant absorbed green and reflected orange, the plant would appear orange.  Since plants are green, they must reflect green.

What are the possible end products of fermentation?

You have written the answer in your post...lactic acid, ethanol.

Question is "What is a waste product of any energy transformation?"
My answer: Products produced by fermentation

Heat is lost during each transformation. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:42:43 AM by Sev »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 01:38:41 AM »
4.  correct

12. see Sev's post.  I would also add that they absorb red and blue light.

14.  What energy-carrying molecules do you know about?

17.   Where does a plant get the atoms of Carbon, Oxygen, and Hydrogen to build sugar (C6H12O6)?

The question asks about where the atoms in sugar come from.  Under normal circumstances, atoms do not come from energy.  For a lot of these questions, you know the answers but you just aren't writing things that answer the question.

18.   During the Calvin Cycle, what is the source of energy to bond the atoms of sugar together?
This question is asking for a source of energy.  It is not asking about where the carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms in sugar come from.

22.  Correct

23.  When do cells do fermentation?
Your original answer was correct.

What are the possible end products of fermentation?
Two types of fermentation reactions occur.  Lactic acid fermentation occurs in mamalian muscle cells and produces lactic acid as an end product.  Ethanolic fermentation occurs in various microbes and produces ethanol as an end product.

What type of cells can do this process?
Your original answer was correct.

As a general hint, you should try to write out the answers in your own words instead of just copying sentences out of a book.  When you read something, memorize the concepts and not the phrase that spells out the concept.  Also, when answering these questions, it may be helpful to write out your answers as complete sentences and make sure that these sentences make sense if you read them out loud.  Finally, when you read a question, take a moment to figure out what the question is really asking for.  I think you know the answer to these questions, but you are mainly having trouble connecting the right concepts with the right questions (if that makes sense at all).

Offline Mon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 02:16:08 AM »
ok thanks guys. I still need 14, 17, and 18. I thought 17 and 18 were correct, but I guess they were not in the right context of the answer to the question.

By the way, my biggest weakness is completly understanding a lot of things and putting them in my own words. If I don't understand, then it is very hard to find the right answer to the question, explain it in my own words, and I get very frustraited. I have always had this problem. I don't like being this way and I wish I could understand and put things into my own words and remember things easier. This is why my major is art, so I do not have to memorize or summerize anything because I know that I will end up forgetting what I learned, have trouble understanding things very well, and putting things into my own words. I wanted to major in Kinesiology, but I know my brain won't be able to handle it because of my learning disability. I am just taking biology for the lab general education requirement for my community college.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 02:59:02 AM by Mon »

Sponsored Links