April 28, 2024, 04:06:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium Bicarbonate  (Read 6425 times)

Offline Mazaag

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sodium Bicarbonate
« on: September 27, 2007, 01:11:47 PM »
Hey guys,

I had a question about Sodium Bicarbonate... I have close to no experience in chemistry..and am working on a project that requires its use...

I understand that Sodium bicarbonate solution dissociates to CO2 (amongst other things) when heated to about 60degrees... my question is as follows... If we heat sodium bicarbonate solution in a container (like a pill box for example), and we leave some room for the increase of pressure (due to the CO2), will the CO2 produced eventually dissolve into the solution and result with the original sodium bicarbonate solution we had? we are heating this up to about 90 degrees..

I interested in the electrical conductivity of the soluion , as well as its non-corrosive ability.... will these factors change as we heat it to 90  ?

Thanks for your help guys..

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Sodium Bicarbonate
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 01:38:32 AM »
Corrosion is a chemical reaction, and generally as all chemical rections goes faster when temperature incereases.

In a close system with high pressure of CO2, thermal decomposition of NaHCO3 will probably decreases considerably, since this is an equilibrium reaction. Without an additional CO2 in atmoshere part of CO2 will be over solution, though decompositon at the same temperature will be slower than in an open system.
AWK

Offline technologist

• Mole Snacks: +6/-4
    • Chemical Professionals
Re: Sodium Bicarbonate
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:16:32 AM »
Practically there will not be any evolution of CO2 from the system, U may seem some changes in the pH due to escaping of minor amount of CO2 from surface molecules.

Sponsored Links